Friday 29 January 2010

SHOCKER: RHYTHM CITY’S BAD GIRL IS AN INTROVERT


Moshidi Motshegwa isn’t at all like the nasty Naomi she plays in Rhythm City. In a recent interview with Sunday World, Moshidi revealed, “I don’t like doing interviews but I have no choice. It’s part of my job.
“But I sometimes think it would be easier if people just Googled me and got the whole story.”
She continues hesitantly: “I was born in Alexandra (during the revolutionary time) and have been in the industry for 16 years now.”
“When I was growing up I was a bit fat and not into athletics so I stuck to my books. There are piles and piles of books all around my house.
“The thing is, I have a passion for storytelling and stories.”
That explains why she didn’t study acting but rather literature.
“I’m very much into literature, especially about African women.”
Motshegwa never intended to become an actress.
“I wanted to be a literature professor. Even today, I still want to be one.”
She is currently reading for her masters in literature.
Motshegwa says acting just came naturally.
“It started when I was just 14 years old and I won a competition to go to America, where I wrote and acted out a monologue,” she says.
She has come a long way since then. She has been seen in many films and TV dramas, soapies and comedies.
You’d expect the funny girl to be an extrovert. but she is adamant she’s the quiet type.
“I’m actually an introvert – very shy – and like my own time and space. When I’m not working I’m at home relaxing.
“I tried once when I was still young to go and attend functions but I just didn’t fit in. So now I’m grown up and accept who I am.”
Moshidi is internationally known for playing Florence Nxumalo in the 2004 feature film Drum alongside Taye Diggs. She played the lead, Denzela Ledwaba, in the SABC2 police drama series Zero Tolerance from 2003 to 2006. Won the best actress in a TV drama Golden Horn award at the inaugural Saftas in 2006 for her role in the series.
She has also appeared in numerous TV shows, including Friends Indeed, Gaabo Motho, Flat 27, Generations, Justice For All, Joburg Blues, Behind the Badge, Ke Nnako, SOS, Hillside, The Lab and Jozi H. She also made a guest appearance in a 2003 episode of the American medical drama series ER. The introvert played Nelson Mandela’s daughter Zinzi in the 1997 made-for-TV movie Mandela and De Klerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment