Thursday 1 December 2011

MAKADEM TALKS SEUN KUTI, FANS AND LIFE


Ohangla musician Makadem who was recently on tour in Europe spoke to Hot Secrets about opening for Seun Kuti, the son to the legendary founder of Afro Beat, Fela Anikulapo Kuti.
Makadem was the sole opening act for Seun on October 28 in Copenhagen, Denmark. Seun was backed by his band Egypt 80, which is the original band that played with Fela.




How was your tour?
My tour began on October 20 and ended on November 19. 


You curtain raised for Seun, how was that like?
Yes, I opened for Seun and it was quiet an experience. The place was one of the biggest venues in Copenhagen its known as Amager Bio but you pronounce it as Ama Bio.  I was backed by a bigger band due to my collaboration with other talented acts from around Europe in total it was a 10 man band.  

  
It must a been an experience… 
The crowd cheered wildly as we rocked for an hour and even Seun Kuti said to me ‘Brother you good!’. We have plans to do more stuff together in Paris, France next year as his manager was quiet impressed with me.”
 
Are you recording any collabos?
I am going to work on that very soon because I will be on tour in Europe again in spring that is February – March.

How is it like handling both Kenyan and international fans?
International fans – especially those from the west - are easy to work with than in Kenya because they are ready for any great performance. However, music in Kenya its largely about, who you are, whether you big, have a hit song or who knows you… blah, blah, blah. I see that with Kenyans abroad as well. Most of them still look at me and say ‘Who is he?’. Just because they know who they know according to Kenyan media, that is whom they consider as celebs. Period.
It is not all doom and gloom I’m glad the trend seems to be changing at a fast rate. I believe, if I keep up with my work, in the next two years or so, I will be fine both home and away.
What is the last book you enjoyed reading?
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.


A common misconception about me…
Some say I’m an Ohangla musician or even simply a Luo musician yet I perform music for all ages, races, and continents.
My worst childhood fears were …
(Laughing) Imagine, I always feared getting flashed in a toilet! Seriously.


My ideal night out is…
Attending local live band shows with a small group of friends, having a few drinks -drinking lightly - and having meaty bites in between as we dance to the beat!

If I were a politician I would…
I would work hard to unite, educate and economically empower all communities in Kenya.

The best part of my job is…
Uniting people with my music and making them happy.
My greatest regret is…
I regret that I never began my music career earlier.
Living leader I admire…
Raila Odinga, but do I say!

My greatest possession is
Humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment