Thursday 15 September 2011

POET SITAWA TO HOST 100 THOUSAND POETS FOR CHANGE


Poet and mental health ambassador Sitawa Wafula will host the Kenyan edition of 100 Thousand Poets for Change, a worldwide event happening on September 24 in Nairobi’s Daas Restaurant.
Speaking to Hot Secrets, Sitawa explained, “I was chosen to host Kenya's version of 100 Thousand Poets for Change, which will see poets from all over the world get together and exchange; in there localities. For the Kenyan edition, we will have a late morning book swap that will stream down to a late afternoon of poetry performances at Daas Restaurant.”
The 100 Thousand Poets for Change events will be held in 400 cities around the world with a total 500 poetry events going down in 95 countries.
“The aim of having a book swap was inspired by my strong believe in books especially the help they have been to me when I went through my rape ordeal and mental health issues and having a poetry afternoon to embrace the way poetry helped me come out in the open and not be ashamed to say I am a rape survivor or that my mental take leave every so often,” Sitawa said.
To participate in the book swap, one needs to register a maximum of three books, a minimum of one by September 21 at a non-refundable fee of Sh50 payable on the day of the event. Each book you register entitles you to a voucher, which you will use to get another book. Only those with vouchers are eligible to participate.
“Proceeds from this event will be used to buy Sanitary towels for my girls in Mlolongo so that they stay in school this third term, get to read and get emancipated too. The book swap is from 11am to 2pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment