Monday 20 December 2010

WYRE SCOOPS NIGERIA’S SOUND CITY AWARD IN ABSENTIA


Wyre and Tu Face at a past event

Wyre the Love Child was awarded the Best East African act late last month in the Sound City awards held in Nigeria.
The awards, which are meant to bridge the gap in African music to the rest of the world, took place on November 20 in Lagos. “I'm really excited about clinching the award. There was some stiff competition in my category, but I thank God for coming through,” he told Hot Secrets.
The Sina Makosa star did not attend the ceremony saying, “I was scheduled to attend a music workshop prior to my invitation, but my agent in Nigeria attended the awards and accepted it on my behalf.”
Another Kenyan who was nominated for the awards has a bone to pick with the organisers. Yvonne Darcq who was nominated in the best RnB category said, “The event organizers have been avoiding us and cut contacts with us yet they claim we are part of the awards,” adding that, the organizers failed to send flight tickets to facilitate for their travel to Lagos for the ceremony.



Anyhow, Wyre believes his win validates his entry into the West African market. “I think doors are definitely opening up for me in the Nigerian market. Winning this award leaves me no doubt about it. I've done a collaboration album with a number of Nigerian artists scheduled for release this December. It features P-Square, Banky W, MI, Kel, Faze and Malam Spicey. I'm sure this will help me solidify my market there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment