Monday 20 December 2010

KENYAN AUTHOR AWARDED IN THE US


George Gachara, an author and the co-founder of the United Nations supported Picha Mtaani peace-building initiative was awarded at this year’s Youth Action Net in America on October 6 at an invitation-only ceremony held at the Embassy of Finland in Washington, DC.
Nobel Laureate Martti Ahtisaari of Finland, Finnish Ambassador to the U.S. Pekka Lintu and Kirsi Sormunen, Vice President of Sustainability at Nokia, presented awards.
“I am overwhelmed by the recognition and support the global community has extended to me and my team!” George told Hot Secrets via mail, “I have a deep sense that we are not alone trying to make our societies change. I feel that there is also a need to deepen my work with understanding and innovation.
“I am in the USA for a month, I come back in November. My schedule includes speaking engagements in four states i.e. a university in Indianapolis, Washington State University, St Louis and Univerity of New York.
“After the award, I was treated to a reception at the US department of state; hosted by the Department of state under secretary Maria Otero. This award is coincides with the release of my first book titled set for a November release The Reverse Is True.
Each year, 20 outstanding young leaders are selected for the Global Fellowship program. Through the 12-month program, Fellows participate in a weeklong retreat in Washington, D.C. and benefit from leadership development, skill-building, networking, and advocacy opportunities. "Youth Action Net was created in the belief that an emerging movement of young change-makers had the power to deliver transformative innovations," said IYF President and CEO William S. Reese.
"Congratulations to each of this year's Fellows, all of whom have bold plans for deepening and expanding their work," said Nokia's Kirsi Sormunen.

1 comment: