Thursday 14 October 2010

SALIF KEITA IS IN TOWN Y'ALL!


I'm super excited about this. Tonight, legendary singer Salif Keita will be performing at the Carnivore's Simba Saloon.
On Monday, October 11, Salif held a press briefing where he addressed members of the fourth estate on his Kenyan tour that culminates in a concert tomorrow at the Carnivore’s Simba Saloon.
“I’m happy to be here, this is my third time I’m visiting and the last time I was here, I got a lot of support and appreciation from the Kenyan people,” Salif said at the presser held at the Intercontinental.
Salif who was recently appointed the African Union’s Peace and Security Ambassador also has a foundation named after himself. It advocates for the rights of people with albinism. The Mali born royalty recounted his tough journey growing up as an albino.
“I suffered tremendously. When I was 5 years old, I started to be aware of my surroundings and what people thought of me. When I put my hands next to my friends I started to get worried. Since then I started wondering,” adding, “The situation (stigma and discrimination) for albinism continues even here is East Africa, that is why I said to myself, ‘it’s time to speak to everyone about it’.”
Salif will be putting up a show starting 8:30pm and will be backed by Kenyan acts Idi Achieng and Sauti Sol. American jazz singer Omar will also be on the performance line up.

No comments:

Post a Comment