Thursday 18 March 2010

BAABA MAAL ON KENYAN BBC PERFORMANCE CANCELLATION


A press statement on Wednesday gave Senegalese singer Baaba Maal a chance to explain why he missed a private performance where he was to highlight the role of culture and communication in combating climate change.
Maal was set to be the VIP guest for the Africa Climate Talks to which he is the the official ambassador.
A disappointed Maal said in the statement: “I am very sorry not to be joining the BBC World Service Trust and the British Council today to help launch the findings of Africa Talks Climate, a project close to my heart that I am proud to be part of. I have watched the project evolve across the past year – from field research, to discussion groups, to events at major development events that have included Copenhagen. I had been looking forward to helping raise and share African voices on climate change here in Nairobi today. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control I’ve not been able to make it.
“But I would like to continue the conversation another time soon, as we need to ensure we keep climate change in the headlines and talked about. We need information, we need debate, and we need action. So what I am suggesting is that I come in July, with eight musicians that make up my band, and we have another – and bigger - concert. I’ll be working with the BBC World Service Trust, the BBC’s international development charity, to finalise the details and we will make a further announcement as soon as we can. In the meantime I hope the launch goes really well.”

No comments:

Post a Comment