Wednesday 25 September 2013

Ugandan Minister Blames Women For Being Raped

Recently, a Ugandan Youth Affairs Minister, Ronald Kibuule was on record blaming a female rape victim for being raped.

“…if a woman is raped they (police) look at how she was dressed. Most women currently dress poorly especially the youth. If she is dressed poorly and is raped, no one should be arrested,” Kibuule said at a rally in Kajara County, Ntungamo District.

Out of curiosity I googled him. I wanted to make sure he isn’t a Neanderthal from way before the evolution of mankind.

And what do you know, he isn’t.

All I saw was a chubby-cheeked, handsome, young man.

What I do not understand is, does he know that men are also prone to rape?

What if, owing to his good looks, some deviant found him irresistible and thanks to his sense of style and designer cologne. He is overpowered and rapped.

Would he accept and move on? Would he blame himself?

I would never wish rape on Kibuule or even on my worst enemy but the youth affairs minister’s utterances stem from a pit of ignorance.

Mr Kibuule, I would like to recommend something for you to watch.

You might learn a thing or two about who is to blame when a rape occurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment