Sunday 22 July 2012

KENYAN MODEL MAKING WAVES IN THE US


Kenyan born model based in Atlanta, USA, Jared Okeyo is curving a niche for himself in the modeling world. He gave an interview to Hot Secrets and spoke about his stint on reality shows Real Housewives of Atlanta and TI and Tiny Show on VH1.
He also gave the genesis of his fashion model career...

Give me a brief background on how you started your modeling career? 
Well,i didn't grow up talking or thinking I was going to be a model. I could get compliments and comment about my physic from family, friends and strangers telling me on how i should model. At first, I never took them seriously untill one day, I met this photographer while i was out clubbing and he invited me to his studio for a shoot. It has been on since then.

You have featured in various Ad campaigns for major fashion houses. Which are they? 
 I have been featured in two reality TV shows, Real Housewives of Atlanta and T.I & TINY SHOW ON VH1. I was part of the fashion show by AKOO clothing line owned by rapper T.I. and I just did a Marcys and Sean John fashion show recently as well. I am also working with supermodel Cynthia Bailey closely. I still have a long way to go.

How did you get booked for the jobs? 
Well, I auditioned for the jobs against hundreds of other models and i got the jobs because i had the look they were looking for at the time, I guess...

I have read that you have also worked with musicians. Tell me in what capacity? 
 Like I said, I worked with T.I on his clothing line and Kandi (former Xscape member) on her toy line. I was a model for her ladies night party... thats all.

You had a stint on reality shows like Real Housewives of Atlanta on Bravo TV and the T.I. & Tiny Show on VH1. What exactly was your role? 
On the shows, I played the lead role as a model. I was just chilling on the other show...modeling.

What are your aspirations, passions with respect to modeling – what are you working on next? 
Well, more school work, acting possibly and maybe one day come model back home in Kenya, or have a commercial on a Kenyan TV network with the help of people like you, I would really love and appreciate that.

What motivates you to do what you do? 
Really, it has to be my past. I had a rough childhood and a tough life. My mother - she is special and dear to me - also inspires me to succeed.

Where do you see yourself two years from now? 
I don't know. God willing somewhere in Los Angeles or New York with a big commercial agency. I'm keeping our fingers crossed...

Which was the best event ever that you have had the chance to be part of? 
Ohhh man, I had fun with the Real Housewives of Atlanta ladies...they love me and I love them back.

What are some of the major challenges you go through as a model? 
Right now, I don't really have major challenges... yet. But I'm sure they are coming, i just cant wait to face them, that's what makes life interesting.

What is your advice for a young up and coming talent? 
Stay focused, know what you are worth, dont take your clothes off for nudes to small time photographer, It is not worth it.

What do you consider your greatest achievement? 
Well, coming to America land of opportunity, I think that's just a small achievement.

 To learn more and get in touch with Jared a.k.a The Kenyan Model follow him on Twitter @thekenyanmodel or friend him on his on Facebook page, Abuya the Kenyan Model.

No comments:

Post a Comment