Monday 3 October 2011

THROWBACK INTERVIEW: WANURI ON WANGARI MAATHAI’S BIOGRAPHY


I did this interview with Wanuri Kahiu some years back, like in 2009 when she was working on a documentary for M-Net.

Filmmaker Wanuri Kahiu is currently working on a new M-Net series called Great Africans where they choose different leaders from around the continent and get filmmakers to tell their stories.
Wanuri is “focusing on one significant moment of Wangari Maathai’s life and how that moment was influenced by different memories, in addition, how other people speak of her will be used as her memory," she said, "It’s like a collection of memories, an album.”
This will make Wanuri, the first Kenyan to do a documentary on the Nobel Laureate winner. “It’s intimidating, I was really scared because I really want more than anything to be able to tell a beautiful story about Wangari Maathai. Something that will inspire people the same way I was inspired when I read her book,” adding, “I’m a tree girl myself, I’m passionate about Eco lifestyle, what she does inspires me.” So far, she is doing interviews "but the professor is really really really busy so whatever she can accommodate we are 120% ready for her."

Other personalities who are featured in the show include Nelson Mandela, Kwame Nkurumah, Julius Nyerere, Patrick Lumumba and Wole Sonyika.
The documentary was aired on M-Net on April 5, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment