Wednesday 17 August 2011

DREW BARRYMORE WAS HERE!



In another segment of 'who was here' features the secret trip to Kenya by Hollywood actress, Drew Barrymore.
The child star now 36 years old was in Kenya in May for a charity trip. Her trip will be chronicled in the upcoming September issue of Condé Nast Traveler for the Visionaries issue, which features celebrities, activists and companies who are trying to change the world..
The Charlie’s Angel star was in the country courtesy of the World Food Programme where she donated food and help build a local primary school.



In the issue she said she had the desire to help when she learned that some Kenyan children walked miles to get to school.
“I was really moved. I never went to school myself,” Drew shared. “I was doing a job and didn’t have a kid’s life. I wanted to learn more about why these kids were so passionate, walking so far and overfilling their classrooms.”


But she said she felt awkward about meeting with the villagers at first and did not want to appear as an ignorant woman from America.
“I didn’t want to be on a soapbox, this Westerner living in a bubble, so on the first trip I was a little nervous. I asked questions and listened a lot,” she shared.
“When you find something like this that speaks to your heart,” Drew said of the organisation, “it gives you the courage to look beyond your own problems and take the first small steps to try as an individual to make an impact.”


No comments:

Post a Comment