Monday 14 February 2011

SUZANNA OWIYO TO TOUR WITH YOUSSOU NDOUR


This year seems to be Suzanna Owiyo’s time to really shine. She has bagged a deal where she will go on a European tour with legendary singer Youssou N’Dour in March.
Suzanna told Hot Secrets, “I met Youssou N'Dour in Spain in 2008 during Africa Territories Festival. He must have been impressed by my nyatiti performance. That was where the idea was born. My manager Dudu Sarr was very instrumental in negotiating and arranging the tour. “I'm scheduled to perform with Youssou in a collaboration tour dubbed New African Voices. The tour starts on March 4, 2011 in Copenhagen then head to other cities like Stockholm, Gothenburg, Paris, Brussels, London, Besancon (France) and finally in Oslo.”
An excited Suzanna added, “The feeling is way beyond what I would ever have imagined. I first met Youssou in Uganda in 2006. I curtainraised for him during his East African Celtel Tour, little did I know that one day I would share a stage with him but on another level. Youssou indeed is an African icon; to be more precise, he's the best in Africa.“For the first time in my career, I will be engaging myself in a major tour across Europe and I’m excited, I just cant wait for it to start.”
During the tour, she will launch her third album titled My Roots in Oslo on March 13. The Kisumu 100 singer promises that she will launch it in Nairobi too. She said, “I intend to have a major launch at home in August. I have featured Oliver Mtukudzi, Jua Cali, Makadem and Ogoya Nengo. The album was produced by Kirkelig Kulturverksted record label in Norway.
About her album, she said, "My roots is where my music comes from and for the first time I have introduced a traditional African instrument via the nyatiti. My grandfather was a nyatiti player and this album shows it's my way of following his footsteps.”
Joining Suzanna and Youssou during the tour is Senegalese guitarist and singer Carlou D.

1 comment:

  1. Come to the United States too Suzanna. We love your songs here.

    ReplyDelete