Friday 2 April 2010

KENYAN HOPES NAACP WIN OPENS DOOR


Kenyan born singer Sila Mutungi based in the US, is elated at winning the Image Award for Outstanding World Music Album at this year’s National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People (NAACP).
The award ceremony, which was held in February in Los Angeles, saw Sila beat big names in World Music like Maria de Barros and Zap Mama.
The award is given to “accomplished artistes of a culturally diverse musical genre.”
Known in musical circles as Kenyan funk master, Sila and his Afro-funk Experience band recorded the album Black President which bagged them the NAACP under his own label Visalia.
With the win Sila, 40, hopes more doors will be opened for him. “I have talked to managers and what I am hoping is that doors which were closed to me before will be open. A friend wonderfully said that on Friday I was “just a local artist” and after the award I am an international artist and its lovely. It’s created more opportunities and I hope it will help expose my music to more people,” he told African Loft.
He also narrated his experience on the award’s red carpet. “It was surreal. When I got on the red carpet, the actress Tatyana Ali from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air was right in front of me and people were shouting out her name and taking pictures. I didn’t think I had a chance of winning because there are more popular artists like Maria and Zap Mama who are on very big labels. I just was hoping to have some fun and enjoy the drinks and the party afterwards. Winning was a quite a shock.
The highlight was meeting Zap Mama and just experiencing what it means to be nominated and people appreciating your arts.”

No comments:

Post a Comment