Sunday 31 May 2009

Lupita Nyongo’s take on her docu-film



Lupita says, “I embarked on this documentary as a way to educate myself and others like me on the condition of albinism and to shed light on the stigma, discrimination and persecution that they face because of their difference. It is alarming that this special condition that exists in every race and civilization of human beings – and indeed in most animal species – should be so hyper-visible and yet so socially invisible (In my research I could not find any traditional stories with people with albinism as characters, for example).
My goal in making this film was therefore to tell the story behind the silence. I chose to focus on the personal and intimate experiences of people with albinism who had overcome the great social odds, in order to add to the plethora of positive cultural stories that they have been excluded from for so long. The 8 people I chose represent people with albinism from different socio-cultural and economic backgrounds, who, though they all have very distinct experiences and opinions, are all united in their embracing of themselves. I wanted to capture the spirit of individuals who have persevered in the face of great hostility and harm. Agnes is the natural main character of the documentary, the epitome of endurance and enthusiasm despite all the drawbacks and persecution in her life. I knew the moment I met her that her story would carry more than the message of albinism awareness: Agnes’ story stands for the embracing of one’s self and therefore human diversity.”

The film is on sale for Sh1,500 and is available at Books First Westgate.

No comments:

Post a Comment